This project is read-only.

Gallio/mbUnit vs NUnit

Topics: General
May 15, 2009 at 7:28 AM

In an attempt to be more mono compatible I'd like to change the tests from Gallio/mbUnit to NUnit.
The transition is pretty easy and more an issue of Refactoring.
Any objections?

May 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I wrote to Jeff Brown, a developer on mbUnit, about mbUnit support on Linux and he responded:

> Mono support is planned and partially implemented.  Unfortunately we do not currently have a maintainer for Mono compatibility so progress has been slow.

Without support for MbUnit at moment on the Linux platform. I have no objections from switching to NUnit instead. In fact, it's my preference - mostly because I have more experience with it. It's also well known and used in the open source community.

Grover, this was your original choice, what are your thoughts on switching?

May 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I have no objections, if this moves us forward. My personal preference still is with MbUnit, but if we can get the same effects (parameterized tests, dynamic test fixtures) with NUnit I don't care. My original choice for MbUnit came from the fact of these dynamic test fixtures and parameterized tests, which at the time wasn't supported by NUnit. Another feature (in more recent builds of MbUnit) are the verifier contracts.

I don't want to stay in the way of progress. If you as the more active contributors think this helps, do it.

May 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Not a question of who is currently more active or not, don't you think so?

I still have a windows system to run the tests on. I already converted a testcase to NUnit. This is really just a matter of find/replace, nothin else.
And NUnit supports the RowTests as we use them. Don't know about dynamic test fixtures and verifier contracts though.
So we can still wait if mbUnit finally has mono support or make the transition later on. Just wanted to have an alternative as a fallback solution.